Caviar Serving Suggestions
How to serve caviar - Beluga, Sevruga and Osetra caviar
1. Hand-carved Mother-of-Pearl spoon, knive, fork and plate are the traditional accoutrements used to serve caviar. Any other type of tableware would alter the taste of caviar and distract from its natural flavor.
2. Remove caviar from the refrigerator 15 minutes before eating. The lid should be removed only at the last moment.
3. The ideal presentation is to offer the whole tin on a bed of crushed ice. Allow at least 50 grams ( 2 oz.) per person. It should be spooned onto a chilled plate with care taken not to break the grains, which would make it oily. It should be eaten with a fork.
4. You can accompany caviar with pieces of bread that have been lightly toasted (to preserve softness) and then quickly filmed with butter. Don't use commercially made toasts or crackers because they are too hard and dry.
5. A small glass of iced vodka is the ideal companion. It is very important not to spoil your palate with anything but the most pure vodka. It is a matter of personal taste whether you drink champagne with caviar but many think that it is too "sweet" in itself, with too much of its own flavor and that it will distract your palate from the taste of caviar.
6. Many people swallow caviar whole, but to fully appreciate the flavor you should "burst" the eggs with the tip of your tongue against your palate to release the flavor in your mouth.
7. Unopened, a container of fresh caviar may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 8 weeks. Once opened, it is highly perishable and should be eaten right away. Never keep caviar in a freezer.